Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Getting Ready


Well, I should have taken French in school but I didn't. It's surprising how many very useful phrases you can learn in a month though. "Je voudrais" meaning "I would like" was extremely helpful. Entering any little shop, there was always a polite exchange of "Bon jour Madame/Monsieur." Very gracious. Many people spoke some English so it all worked out. I think my attempts must have been amusing, judging by the slightly suppressed smiles. I was told my accent was good so it must have been my grammar that cracked them up. How do I know if a Jambon Burre is a he or a she?

I bought some new clothes which were all too hot. It was over 30c every day! Paris truly does sizzle in the summer.

I ordered Euros from the bank which was too expensive! I should have just got them out of the bank machine in Paris.

The time for preparation past and the big day finally arrived. It was off to Calgary to catch my plane. I made it easily through security and turned to see Peter, Mike, Matt, and Emily enthusiastically waving me on. I did likewise, getting rather misty in the process.

No comments: